Heaven Can Wait Animal Society is seeking an experienced full-time Veterinary Assistant to join us at our nonprofit Wellness Clinic. You will be working together with an established team to foster an environment of support, compassion, and advocacy for our city’s animals. We firmly believe that through providing affordable, evidence-based, quality veterinary care, we can do our part to keep pets healthy & happy in homes with loving families. This aligns with our larger mission of saving animals from shelter intake and risk of euthanasia, which also decreases the burden of pet overpopulation on our community.
We are a longstanding nonprofit 501(c)(3) organization committed to serving community cats, pets, and their families through low-cost, high-quality spay & neuter services and affordable preventative care, as well as through high-impact adoption and foster programming.
Major Job Duties
- Assist customer service staff with answering phones
- Knowledge of veterinary medical terminology and basic medical calculations
- Knowledge on animal behavior and how to respond in a safe manner
- Load clients and patients into exam rooms
- Obtain patients weight, TPR and brief medical history
- Proper documentation in clinic logs and patient medical records
- Client communication of treatment plan
- Proper restraint of dogs and cats for physical exams, blood draws, urine and fecal collection, radiographs, ear cleanings, medical and surgical procedures, etc.
- Perform basic medical treatments such as nail trims, anal gland expression, ear cleanings, subcutaneous fluids, etc.
- Assist the veterinarian and veterinary technicians as needed with preparation and positioning of surgical patients using aseptic technique
- Set up for and assist with patient recovery post-anesthesia
- Proper disposal of hazardous medical waste
- Routine disinfection of all clinic surfaces including front lobby, exam rooms, treatment area and cages
- Regular cleaning/sterilization of clinic equipment including but not limited to surgical instruments
- Perform laundry daily
Education and Experience
- Veterinary Assistant experience preferred
- High School Diploma
- Proficiency in Spanish a plus
- Dependable attendance is required
- Must be willing to work long 8-10 hours a day, 4 days per week. Opportunities for additional hours may be available.
- Any allergies to animals must be controlled through medication.
- This position requires the ability to lift up to 40lbs, walk, squat, bend, stand, reach, and lift constantly during a minimum of 8 hours a day.
- Ability to work with, handle, assist restraining, and walk large animals.
- Fine motor skills adequate for utilizing hospital equipment such as electric clippers, syringes, radiology equipment, laboratory equipment, computers, etc.
- Visual acuity sufficient to maintain accurate records, recognize people and understand written directions
- Our Wellness Clinic is open Tuesday-Friday. Hours range from 30-40 hours per week.
Compensation and Benefits
- Compensation: $15/hr
- Health insurance offered to full time employees
- PTO, sick days and paid holidays
- 401(k) with matching offered to full time employees
- Discounted veterinary services